Le 26/02/2021. If you work remotely – either because of the COVID-19 pandemic or because that is the nature of your...
When the weather starts to cool off and mornings become a bit cold, you can feel that autumn is just around the corner. That’s when Americans say, “This is good chili weather!” Chili is an iconic fall dish – the thing to eat while watching a college football game on TV. There are many things that can accompany chili (such as corn chips), but in the South, cornbread is king.
We make cornbread in preheated cast iron skillet. The skillet goes in the oven to heat while the rest of the ingredients are mixed together.
1. Put the butter in a cast iron skillet, then in the oven.
2. Set the temperature to 180° C.
3. While the oven preheats, mix all the dry ingredients together and set aside.
4. Mix the wet ingredients. Pour the liquid into the dry ingredients you have set aside. Stir just until they are mixed.
5. Remove the hot skillet from the oven. Pour the batter into it.
6. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Recipes in English use a capital ‘T’ to mark a Tablespoon (15 ml) and a lowercase ‘t’ (5 ml) to mark a teaspoon.
cornbread = pain au maïs
to cool off = refroidir
dish = un plat
to preheat = préchauffer
cast iron = en fonte
skillet = une poêle
oven = un four
to mix = mélanger
baking powder = de la levure chimique
lightly beaten = légèrement fouetté
to set aside = mettre à part
wet ingredients = des ingrédients liquides
just until = jusqu’au moment
to remove = enlever
to pour = verser
batter = la pâte
golden brown = doré